Babies From Skin Cells? Prospect Is Unsettling to Some Experts - This is way beyond "Gattaca" now. Can't wait for the new movie to cover this

“It gives me an unsettled feeling because we don’t know what this could lead to,” said Paul Knoepfler, a stem cell researcher at the University of California, Davis. “You can imagine one man providing both the eggs and the sperm, almost like cloning himself. You can imagine that eggs becoming so easily available would lead to designer babies.”

Just a thought: Machine/AI learning via neural nets where big data is used to “train” the net to predict an outcome could be used to predict which AI uses are likely to be damaging to society. This would be a good test case.

“Some scientists even talk about what they call the “Brad Pitt scenario” when someone retrieves a celebrity’s skin cells from a hotel bed or bathtub. Or a baby might have what one law professor called “multiplex” parents.”

I am a political and social centrist. How about wishing this technology luck since it could realize “the best of both genius politician worlds”. My favorite would be the birth of a “Trubama” destined for the U.S. presidency or at least a bit inclined in that direction. One can only hope.

“We have come to realize that scientific developments are outpacing our ability to think them through,” Dr. Adashi said. “It’s a challenge for which we are not fully prepared. It would be good to be having the conversation before we are actually confronting the challenges.”

Conversations? A lot of technoscamsters think we need no stinking conversations.