Orwell Is Fair Video-Game After All - The Game of Animal Farm #orwell #dystopia #technoskeptic

technoskeptic

Isn’t a video game based on anything Orwell wrote kind of like “jumping the shark”?
It isn’t so obvious until you realize that digitization is the foundation of doublespeak.
1 0 0 1 1 0…

The truth can be found only on vinyl baby and then when played only at precisely 33 1/3 rpm.

I know, I know,

Orwell coined the terms doublethink and newspeak, but not doublespeak which originated in the 1950’s. Please, just top splitting hares in two. The point is the universe is not all 0,1’s to the bottom. To the extent we attempt to mirror reality with binary approximation we blur even the difference between 0 and 1 - untruth and truth. Held up on Orwell’s shimmering forehead the difference seems obvious and nobody could confuse one with the other. But sorely abused in endless binary arrays of truth and untruth, 01 becomes too easy to rotate (10) into double speak on a foundational level.

“Over the last decade, some governments started using language eerily similar to what I heard growing up under a communist regime,” says Jele. “So I can’t help feeling personally challenged to spread Orwell’s dystopian warning by adapting Animal Farm into a game.”

“The indie game, which is still early in development, has been fully authorized by the Orwell estate. According to Jele’s statement to Polygon, the Orwell estate has “scrutinized our goals and ideas extensively during this process, as they should.””

I would like to read more than just a quantum of their rational for releasing an Orwell game.