Read this before using facial-recognition technology or fingerprint scanning

"Aram Sinnreich recently went grocery shopping at a Whole Foods Market in his hometown of Washington, D.C., and realized he had left his wallet at home. He had no cards and no cash, but he had no reason to worry — at least, not about paying for his food. “I used my iPhone to pay, and I unlocked it with my face,” he said.

That’s when it struck him: We are just one small step away from paying with our bodily features alone. With in-store facial-recognition machines, he wouldn’t even need his smartphone. Sinnreich, associate professor of communication studies at American University, said he got a glimpse of the future that day.

The neoliberal takeover of the human body’

“Every technological necessity exists in the real world and is used commercially,” Sinnreich said. “It just hasn’t all been integrated into one biometric-payment method yet because it would creep people out.” He said it’s Silicon Valley’s end game: “It’s the neoliberal takeover of the human body.”

Apple and Samsung have sold tens of millions of devices with fingerprint scanning technology.

The Federal Trade Commission has taken action against a variety of fintech companies alleging false advertising and nondisclosure of material information related to customer funds. New products must take into account “important consumer-protection principles,” from mobile payments to virtual currencies to crowdfunding, the FTC said."

Read more at: