Should I have let my daughter marry our robot?

“It’s easy to scoff at the idea of humans marrying robots, but it’s not as far-fetched as it may seem. Robots are appearing everywhere. They’re taking our jobs waiters and waitresses, fighting for us in the military as drones, and answering questions as virtual assistants we ask on our smartphones. Soon they’ll even be driving us around everywhere and cooking our meals, as some new ovens with arms can do. All this is just the tip of the iceberg for the artificial intelligence machine age we’re stepping into. I believe that robots are likely to be thousands of times smarter in 20 years than they are now.

In fact, they may be able to feel and understand more if they possess additional capacity compared to us. It’s even possible that by not encouraging my daughter to be open to love AIs in the future, I might be shortchanging her, which is the last thing a parent would ever want to do. Ultimately, I believe in loving my daughter, regardless how sophisticated technology becomes. If she chooses as an adult to marry anyone or anything — so long as she has rationally and deeply thought all of it through — then I want to support her choices. Even if in the future her spouse is not of human form.”

Read more at: