Tekakak - the new school of the Techno-Absurd

Well Threepath, If “The Invaginarium” is not good enough for you as a new “Women Will Rule (and once did)” category alongside “The City” what about one for Techno-Skepticism or maybe better yet “Techno-Absurdism”? Its completely absurd and a bit sinister that there is no established school of the Techno-Absurd and only a limping along sect of Technoskeptics. How was that blind spot established and how has it been maintained?

Three top Technoskeptics are 1. Andrew Keen 2. Jaron Lanier and 3. Mo Reitman.

Andrew Keen is the Frank Zappa of TechnoSkep and can shoot logic bullets at his audience with aplomb. Jaron Lanier can play two flutes at once and wrote the intro to the new release of Ellen Ullmans book “Close to the Machine: Technophilia and Its Discontents”. Mo Reitman created the Technoskeptic blog and does voice coaching.

Basically Techno Skepticism gets near zero press of any kind compared to its opposite Technomania (perhaps) or Technobozo (a clown insult) or Technophagia (eat me Tech). One way to explain this are the two words acceptance and acquiescence. Here for a memorable and practical review of the difference between the two words. “Acquiescence, in contrast, means “passive assent or agreement without protest.”” “Acceptance is acknowledgement of the truth without judgement.” - from the comments.

The current school of Techno-skepticism verges on the absurd because of its failure to get the point across (should be much easier than it seems) that a wide range of technology (not just WEB 2) is a rubber knife pressed into humanities accepting throat. We chuckle while the knife edge keeps pressing inward then as the blood flow to our brains slows to a trickle from the slow, near painless compression - we will shut down. Andrew Keen does a great job but seems to be frustrated by the difficulty of convincing the techno-addict society their heroin ain’t no good.

I think an absurdist take on Techno-skepticism is the only way to get people to grab the knife and take a bite out of it.

I just happen to be relatively familiar with the the ancient Mualang language used in Southwestern Borneo (Kalimantan). One word in this language seems to be perfect for biting that rubber knife. “Tekakak” which means “laugh continuously with various sounds” - “Tek” is self explanatory and “akak” has many different paths to the blade. My favorite being Tim Burton’s alien one syllable language in the movie “Mars Attacks”. Ak AkAk AkAkAk!

I can’t think of a better “category” for us Blackhooligans to post all our pent up technoskeptic musings.

Thanks for the category ideas. I made categories for both “The Invaginarium” and “Tekakak” I heard the gold panning is great in that part of Borneo. Maybe I will make it there and back someday with a few pounds of nuggets. They don’t hunt heads from what I hear anymore but just in case I will wear my Tekakak T-shirt proudly!

[quote=“Jody, post:1, topic:322, full:true”]
I just happen to be relatively familiar with the the ancient Mualang language used in Southwestern Borneo (Kalimantan). One word in this language seems to be perfect for biting that rubber knife. “Tekakak” which means “laugh continuously with various sounds” - “Tek” is self explanatory and “akak” has many different paths to the blade. My favorite being Tim Burton’s alien one word language in the movie “Mars Attacks”. Ak AkAk AkAkAk![/quote]

I know what “AK” means and I know what “AKAK” means but when it gets to the really long “AK” words like “AKAKAKAKAKAKAK” I have to return to my Rosetta Stone CD for the language and brush up. To stuff the required scientific knowledge into the terse language probably requires a sophisticated control over pitch like Mandarin.

BTW, “Tek” in the word has a quite sinister Big Brother connotation aside from just “Tek” as usual. TEK is a powerful uncontrolled secret police with bona fide Orwellian power - in Hungary. https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/the-new-hungarian-secret-police/?_r=0
Its a good thing you added “akak” to the end of “tek”. I would not want TEK knocking on my door any time soon.

The other side of the concept coin is TEK as an acronym used by Ecologists everywhere.
http://www.umanitoba.ca/architecture/cp/app/sections/issues/other/tek/what_is.html

"What is Traditional Ecological Knowledge?

It has been attempted by many theorists to define “Traditional Ecological Knowledge”, both in the spiritual and cultural sense. LaDuke (1994) describes TEK as “the culturally and spiritually based way in which indigenous people relate to their ecosystems.”

Jody, Is there a Mualang word for what happens to a metal paper clip when you keep bending it until it breaks? I hate when that happens.

I think one of the challenges for “The Invaginarium” as a new topic is just avoiding where possible the obvious graphics to bring in as “graphic” support for whatever lunatic ideas start blooming on the topic. The main reason for the category is that there is good evidence that the strings of power are slipping onto the fingers of women. But that’s no reason not to have fun until then.

Can you see the invisible strings of power in this photo?

Tekakak: It makes writing limericks about absurd technology very easy.

There was a young biointern named Ak
who suddenly slipped into an ak
what resulted from that
was an ear on the back rat
and now the rat is an akak.

There was a Seattlite named Ak
who drank a cup of black ak
she quivered and shook
until she mistook
her ak
for her akak.

Klezxingo, Posting a screen shot of your first ever Tekakak Techno Absurd limerick to make sure you get the Twitter press your AKturarial genius deserves.

Tekakak? Inconceivable.

I consulted the oracles at https://www.morph3d.com/about and asked them to put their heads together to create a fiendishly clever poster defining the essence of Tekakak. This is what nearly all of them came up with.

Not as smooth as the smoothly shaven Man from Tekakak above… Here is some abstract Tekakak. Back in the early 70’s (forget the 60’s) it would have cost 10,000$ and a few hits of acid to get somebody to make this Kaleidoscope. Maybe not even in the 70’s since this face from a face animation experiment was the best they could do then.